Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Scrambled Cheeseburgers

Tonight's dinner WAS going to be Hamburger Helper, but then I decided I was too tired to even make that. Is that possible? Too tired to make Hamburger Helper? Yep, it is. BUT, I did have a pound of hamburger already thawed so I thought I'd better do something with it. I thought I would just patty it up and throw em on the grill. But then I'd have to go turn on the grill...patty the burgers...seasoning...blahhh...oh, and we had HOT DOG buns but no hamburger buns = hamburgers are out. Meet Scrambled Cheeseburgers. Yes, I put them in hot dog buns. Bun is a bun is a bun. It works just the same! While I was getting the hamburger browning for these, I decided I'd better just toast the buns because that's pretty delicious :-)  Austin actually said that toasting the buns was what made these cheeseburgers perfect. TOAST YOUR BUNS! :-)

-1 lb. ground beef
-4 slices American cheese
-1/2 c. ketchup
-1 teaspoon(ish) mustard
-buns
-any additional hamburger toppings you'd like
Brown hamburger. Drain grease, if any. Tear (or cut, if you want to be fancy) up the slices of cheese into a little bit smaller pieces and put in the skillet with the hamburger. Turn burner to low (2 or 3 on the dial). Stir so cheese is evenly distributed and can melt. Stir in ketchup and mustard once cheese is melted. Keep mixture on low for about 5-10 minutes to let everything heat up together. While the meat is sitting, toast the buns! Put a little spray butter or butter spread on the middles. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt. Broil on LOW until they're golden on the edges. Spoon meat mixture onto buns. Top with any other toppings you would like.
*You don't HAVE to toast the buns, so I didn't list butter and garlic salt as ingredients for this recipe. You just should toast them, because it'll taste that much better!
toasty buns!

1 comment:

  1. Been making these for a while..Its one of the few bachelor fods that my kids actually like.lol

    ReplyDelete