Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Beef Dips


First, I feel the need to say that I did not make this recipe up! I found it on another blog. I've made it twice, and it's just too good not to share! It's so incredibly easy, too. Mr. Crock Pot gets to do most of the work :) This is basically a french dip sandwich. I think with most french dips, the meat is thinly sliced...you can do that with this recipe or you can shred it (like I do). I think shredding it is the easiest because it tends to fall apart on its own anyway.

-3-4 lb. Beef Rump Roast
-1 packet Au Jus Gravy Mix
-1 envelope Onion Soup Mix
-1 can beef broth
-Whichever bread and cheese you prefer. I used Deli Sub Rolls and Sargento Provolone Mozzarella Slices

Ingredients for Roast
Bread and Cheese
Put the roast in the crock pot. Mix the Au Jus, Onion Soup, and Beef Broth together. Pour over roast. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Mine cooked for 10 hours because I left for work around 8 and didn't get home until 6. So, the roast won't be upset if it cooks longer. Take the roast out of the crock pot to shred it/cut it. I like to strain the juice from the crock pot because I don't like onion chunks. If you like onions, leave them in there :) Shred or cut all the meat up and put it back in the juice. I turn my crock pot to "keep warm" at this point. If yours doesn't have that setting, keep it on low. Let it sit in there for at least another 30 minutes. We like to toast our bread for these sandwiches. Cut the rolls in half lengthwise. I use spray butter, but you can use whatever butter you want on them. Put the halves on a baking sheet in the oven and set to "broil" low. This usually takes at least 5 minutes, but keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. However, if you do burn them a little, here's a little trick! Use a sharp paring knife to just scrape off the burnt stuff. Works like a charm. Scoop out some of the meat and put it on one half of the roll. Top it with a piece of cheese (I tear a piece in half to make it fit better). Put the halves with meat on them back in the oven to let the cheese melt. It will only take a minute or two. Then just top it with the other half! You can use some of the juice from the crock pot if you'd like to dip your sandwich. Just a little heads up- the sandwiches are pretty moist without dipping! They're ooooh so good!
What it will look like when you pour broth mixture over it

Roast is cooked!

Meat is shredded (it looks a little nasty, but it's heavenly)

You can eat it this way ...

...or this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment