Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Meatloaf

Crank up that "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" or maybe a little "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad". NOW, you're ready to make some meatloaf! *nerd* Meatloaf is probably one of the easiest things to throw together quickly. There are so many ways to make it, so ya really can't screw it up. You can even make it in pretty much any kind of pan. You can do a traditional loaf pan, muffin tin (pretty popular now), or my favorite- a cake pan! Depending on how thick you like your meatloaf will determine which size of cake pan to use. I use an 11X7 pan and it ends up being about 1 inch thick. So if you like a little thicker- a square 8X8 cake pan would be great. If you're going for very thin- a 9X13 would be your best bet. So I guess I make.... meatcake...creepy sounding, I know. Anyway, here's how I make mine! (Sorry I didn't take pictures of the process, but it's pretty self explanatory!)
-1 lb. ground beef
-1 egg
-1/4 c. milk
-1/4 c. ketchup
-splash of Liquid Smoke
-1/4. barbecue sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
-1/2 t. garlic powder
-1/2 t. pepper
-1/8 t. Lawry's Seasoning Salt
-1/2 c. to 3/4 c. bread crumbs (You can use whatever type you like. My favorite to use is Kellogg's Corn Flake Crumbs, but I also like Italian Bread Crumbs.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat the egg like crazy in a mixing bowl. Add milk, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and liquid smoke. Mix well. Add in garlic powder, pepper, and seasoning salt, and stir. Mix in ground beef. I use my Pampered Chef Mix N' Chop (best thing ever) to make sure the sauce is thoroughly mixed into the beef. You can use a fork, too. I know some people mix their meatloaf with their electric mixer with the beater blade attached. So, suit your own fancy. Add in 1/2 c. of breadcrumbs, and mix well. If the mixture is in one big blob at this point, you don't need to add more breadcrumbs. If it's still falling apart a little, add in another 1/4 c. of the breadcrumbs. Spray whatever pan you are using with a non-stick cooking spray, unless you're using stoneware! Dump the meatloaf in the pan, and spread it out so it's pretty even. I bake mine for about 35-40 minutes. If you use a loaf pan, you'll need to increase baking time. If you use a muffin tin, your baking time will be closer to 25 minutes. The reason I use a cake pan is because our faaaaaavorite part of a meatloaf is the ends, where it gets a little crisper. So, using a cake pan allows more crispy edges!
Top with some ketchup, barbecue sauce, cheese, or just nothing! Serve with cheesy potatoes or mac n cheese and green beans or peas!

No comments:

Post a Comment