Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Savory Flax Seed Crackers

Thought I'd give everyone a healthier recipe now :) These are good to just eat plain, or you can spread some cheese on them! I actually didn't make this recipe up- saw it on Pinterest!

Ingredients

-2 c, ground flax seed
-2/3 c. grated parmesan cheese
-2 1/2 t. garlic powder
-1/2 t. salt
-1 c. water
All flattened out
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the water and mix well. The original recipe didn't say what size of pan to put these in, so I used my Large Bar Pan Stone from Pampered Chef. The measurements are pretty close to a jelly roll pan. So, if you have a jelly roll pan use that. If not, you could use a cookie sheet that's at least 15X10. The crackers don't spread, so wherever you put them on a pan-they stay! Anyway, line your sheet with parchment paper (always there to make life easier-which is why I love it). Drop the mixture by spoon fulls onto the parchment. Lay a piece of wax paper over the top of it all. Start "smooshing" it all together by just pressing down on the wax paper. You want it to be very thin, like 1/8 of an inch. You could use a rolling pin or a wine bottle instead of your hands if you want. Make sure it's a consistent thickness all the way to the edges. If the edges are thinner than the rest, they'll burn and be naaaaasty! Once it has all come together and is thinned out, take the wax paper off. Bake these for about 20 minutes, or until the top starts looking golden brown. Once they've cooled for at least an hour, cut them into whatever size crackers you want. I used a pizza cutter to cut them, and that worked very well.
Ta-Da!

So a couple things about this recipe-
The first time I made these, my edges were thinner than the middle. I didn't bake it long enough (because the edges started getting a little too brown), so my crackers were a little chewy. They tasted fine, just weren't crispy like a cracker. SO MAKE SURE THE THICKNESS IS CONSISTENT! :)
A reviewer of this recipe said she made them a sweeter cracker by substituting the parmesan cheese with 1/2 c. almond flour, the garlic and salt with a teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of cloves. She also added a little sweetener. So that's something to try. I haven't tried that yet, but I will at some point. Just wanted to give you all that idea, too.

1 comment: